Version 5.XX.0 Release Notes
Bright Pattern Contact Center 5.XX.0 includes new features and enhancements that make it easier and faster to connect with customers using social media messaging. Notable social media messaging additions to this release include built-in support for two social media powerhouses, WeChat and WhatsApp.
- With over 1 billion monthly active users, allowing agents to communicate with WeChat using the familiar Agent Desktop chat interface opens your contact center to another broad and geographically diverse audience.
- The WhatsApp messaging channel now uses the native WhatsApp API. The decision to switch to the native API ensures Bright Pattern Contact Center's future compatibility with the next generation of WhatsApp features.
Bright Pattern's product team combined the features of social media messaging with Bright Pattern Contact Center's core strengths in quality management, proactive engagement, customer feedback, omnichannel routing, case lifecycle management, and workflow flexibility, implementing changes to support business use cases:
- Customer consultations about products start as text exchanges and evolve into full-blown digital conversations using voice, images, URLs, and, payment forms.
- Quick processing of customer returns, allowing a customer to provide photographic and video evidence of dissatisfaction in real time, then adding the resolution into the contact center knowledge base.
- Reducing labor costs by automating deliveries using a scenario builder to create intelligent bots to work with customers to set up scheduling, rescheduling, and proof of delivery.
Bright Pattern Contact Center 5.xx.x continues to offer best-in-class contact center software while looking deep into future tech like social media messaging, data mining, and artificial intelligence, ensuring a future-proof contact center, positive digital ROI, and competitive advantage.
This section contains essential notices for this release.
Browser Support Changes
Bright Pattern will discontinue support and product testing for Internet Explorer 10 & 11 starting November 2022. Existing applications may work after discontinuation, but Bright Pattern will not resolve issues in these browsers.
Google Chrome 96.0 and later for Windows OS Microsoft Edge 13 and later Mozilla Firefox 94 and later Safari 15.1 and later for Mac OS X
Recommended Operating Systems
Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 11 Mac OS X 10.15 (Catalina) + Chrome OS (support via auto update) Ubuntu 20.04 Changes in System Behavior
- Expand your contact center's global reach--add the social media messaging app WeChat to your list of communication channels
- Leverage the Bright Pattern Omnichannel platform to provide customers the ability to connect with your agents over WeChat while adhering to your established administration, automation, and case lifecycle management processes.
- Add More Security to Your LINE Messenger Integration with a Channel Secret
- LINE added a channel secret to further secure their messaging API. This version of BPCC lets you set a channel secret for your LINE integrations.
- Send Proactive Messages to WhatsApp Users
- WhatsApp rules require businesses to use approved templates when starting conversations with users. This version of Bright Pattern Contact Center introduces automatic WhatsApp template matching. instead of reacting to user requests for information, automatic template matching lets you proactively message users with things like appointment reminders, payment updates and issue resolutions.
- Customize Common, Event-Driven Chat Messages
- Chat conversations share common events like participants joining, leaving and ending the chat. Now, Bright Pattern lets you set templated messages for those types of events at three levels. These automated chat messages keep chat participants informed and are also recorded in chat history where they're available for review.
- Add, remove, and modify a contact's messenger details using the contact form
- The contact form in Agent Desktop lets agents add, remove, and modify a contact's messenger details to keep contact records up to date.
- Quickly Initiate Outbound Messenger Sessions from the Keyboard
- This release of Bright Pattern gives agents the ability to start a messaging session from the keyboard.
- Capture an Unknown Contact's Detail When They Connect Via Messenger
- No need to rely on an agent to enter an unknown contact's messenger details. Now, Bright Pattern automatically captures and stores available details like messenger ID, username and avatar image of users when they connect to your contact center via messenger.
- Support for More Messenger Content Types Ensures Seamless Chat Conversations
- Customers expect to send and receive all the content types their messengers support. Now, Bright Pattern's Omnichannel messaging platform supports URLs, proprietary stickers and emojis, audio attachments, video attachments, hosted file attachments, images, contact information, read notifications, delivery notifications, and location, allowing your contact center to take advantage of each messenger's content types to meet user expectations. *Not all messengers support all content types.
- Multimedia Content Support Opens the Door for More Use Cases and Scenarios
- With this release, you're not limited to simple text-based interactions. The additional multimedia content support opens the door to unlimited opportunities for business use cases like allowing customers to send pictures of damaged items, letting sales agents sending real-time video of items in a warehouse or retail sales floor, and creating bots to analyze a customer's images and make suggestions based on that analysis.
- Prevent Oversized Messages from Being Sent
- Check outgoing message sizes against the size limit for a messenger type and notify the sender when the message exceeds the limit.
- Make it easier and faster to gather information from customers with quick-reply buttons
- The quick reply button feature makes it easier and faster for customers to respond to questions while allowing a contact center to direct the conversation flow.
- Directives Sent in Agent Desktop Chat are Recorded in Activity History and Chat Transcript in the Order Sent
- When an agent enters an attachment, location, or sticker directive which requires multiple messages, the chat transcript and activity history provide a record of those messages in the same order as sent to the customer.
- Schedule Messenger Interactions
- Agents put outbound messenger chats on the calendar, using Bright Pattern's calendaring process.
- Add Messenger Related Branches to Scenarios with Messenger Variables
- A messenger user’s username/phone number and/or messenger name are held in the variable $(item_from).
- Wait for an Agent When Agents Aren’t Available
- The new Keep the chat in queue setting for Find Agent lets scenario creators configure scenarios in which messenger users wait for an available agent.
- Set Customer Inactivity Timeouts to Reduce Unnecessary Automatic Inactivity Messages
- This release of Bright Pattern gives you more control over when to send inactivity messages, reducing annoying, unnecessary, and sometimes costly message traffic.
- Archive Attachments Sent in Messenger Chats
- Scenarios and Workflows implement an extended Fetch URL block to support enumerating and saving chat attachments and newly available content types for POST requests: multipart/form-data and a custom type for a single file upload. The new variable $(item.numFiles) holds the total number of attachments and The collection variable $(item. Files[n]) holds the URL of every attachment.
- Set an Escape Phrase to Intelligently End a Chat or Messenger Session
- Escape phrases in Find Agent and Connect Chat blocks give scenario creators the ability to allow a customer to request cancelling a chat session or exiting a queue and process the request, asking for confirmation or asking the customer take a survey before exiting the interaction.
- Design Complex File Upload Scenarios Using the New Wait for Response and Expect a File options in a Send Message+ block
- Combine “Wait for response” and “Expect a file” options to extend the timeout period for file upload scenarios, allowing customers to send multiple attachments and messages without timing out.
- Directives Sent via a Send Message + block Chat are Recorded in Activity History and Chat Transcript in the Order Sent
- When a Send Message +block sends an attachment, location, or sticker directive which requires multiple messages, the chat transcript and activity history provide a record of those messages in the same order as sent to the customer.
- If something goes wrong sending a message, the Send Error provides further processing capability
- Scenario creators can plan for how to handle errors when sending a message.
- Automatically Block Suspicious Content and Send an Error Response to the Sender
- Bright Pattern Contact Center rejects potentially dangerous content types sent via chat and automatically notifies senders of prohibited files with a customizable error message. Suspicous files are blocked in Agent Desktop and scenarios. Blocked files types include: .ade, .adp, .apk, .appx, .appxbundle, .bat, .cab, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .dll, .dmg, .ex, .ex_, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .iso, .jar, .js, .jse, .lib, .lnk, .mde, .msc, .msi, .msix, .msixbundle, .msp, .mst, .nsh, .pif, .ps1, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh
- One-Click Masking
- No need to highlight content before masking it. Along with the highlighting option, Agent Desktop includes a new, faster, one-click option to mask sensitive data.
- SMS API Supports Messaging to Messenger Accounts
- Send and receive messages to and from messenger accounts using the SMS API.
- Control Messengers Integrations
- Enable or restrict messenger integrations per tenant.
- Chat Sessions Migrate from a Client Web Server to Another After a Graceful Shutdown
- After a graceful shutdown, chat sessions automatically migrate from one CWS to another.
There are no additional known issues in this release. For information about known issues, see Known Issues and Workarounds.
Changes to Dependent Software Packages
No changes to dependent software packages.
Upgrade without downtime is supported from version 5.18.0 only. To ensure uninterrupted operations during the upgrade, follow the upgrade procedure described in the Bright Pattern Contact Center Deployment Guide, section Upgrades.
The historical and configuration databases changed. To check for compatibility issues, perform a test run using copies of production databases. You must run the dbUpdate.sh script to update the database schemas. For instructions, see the Deployment Guide section, Performing Database Test Runs.
Version 5.0.0 and newer supports offline upgrades. Contact Customer Support to upgrade older versions.
If upgrading from a version older than the previous release, review the What's New and Release Notes sections for prior releases to learn about new features, enhancements, and changes.